Friday 4 May 2012

The Green Mile

Once in a while a truly life changing brilliant movie is released. It makes you think about your own life and how it's related, the script resonates with you and even may help you in your own life.

I was watching the Green Mile last night, I love the character of John Coffey. He is portrayed as a simple man and yet he's actually the most intelligent man in the whole film in my opinion. He truly see's the world for what it is. Of course there is kindness in the world however it is dominated by an overwhelming Amount of evil, pain and suffering. Our world is not a nice place to live and I don't think many people even realise this. Even know what goes on in the world. They See everything through rose tinted goggles.

I know people in the armed forces, in the police force and work in a hospital,
intensive care etc. The stories you hear..

Watching Green Mile made me realise so many things about myself. Because of what's happened to me and the people I've met who have been through similar, I am under no illusion as to the true nature of the world. And I'm thankful for that wisdom. It also makes me truly grateful and amazed when I do see kindness, it's magical to see.

Something John Coffey says really hit home, I quote:

'He killed them with their love. That's how it is; everyday all over the world.' ~John Coffey.

He's referring to the character who raped and murdered the two little girls. But the way I heard it, he was referring to me and my abuser. I knew my abuser and was trying to help him through a tough time he was having, only now do I realise he used this as a manipulation tool. Used my good nature and kindness to hook me in before taking what he took. I often describe being R'd as being murdered yet still living. It feels like he killed me with my kindness. Killed me with my love. And John Coffey is damn right, this happens all over the world every single day. In sexual violence over 90% is committed by someone the person knew and a large majority of that are In relationships!!

Evil people use love and kindness to commit their acts. They prey on it.

I'm starting to think we would all be much wiser and safer to not love at all.

Do only fools love??

5 comments:

  1. http://surmonterdance.blogspot.co.uk/ please take a second to read my blog on rape ... this blog is great. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very insightful! I feel that my attackers did the same thing with me. No matter how many times I was attacked I still had love and kindness and even a venerability that they ended up preying on. I totally identify with what you are saying in this post!! Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you identify Lisa, I hope maybe it helped in some way though! I kinda experienced a similar thing in a way and even more so after what you have said and what others have said... I think it's true! Thanks for reading :)

    I have had a quick look at your blog but going to go read it properly now :-). Can't find any option to follow it though? Be nice to keep up to date with your posts it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that movie a long time ago, read the book as well. At the time I didn't remember all that I have been through, but I found that the movie really affected me. What you have said here rings true for me now since I have remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the movie was profound. It disclosed the ineptitude of justice. As I thought about the injustice foisted on John Coffey, I considered that we all are who we are. The thoughtless will be thoughtless, the cruel will be cruel, the innocent are innocent, victims are victims, but perception and communication is an imperfect science that creates an imbalance in meeting out consequences even when deserved.

    As I thought about the acts of kindness John Coffey bestowed on the little girls, I felt that he would not have changed how he behaved toward them at the time, even though his actions would ultimately be misperceived.

    The mix of our lives includes not only our own behavior, but the behavior of others, and the inclination of cruel people to distort realtity to their personal agenda. We need to take comfort in who we are, regardless of the misperceptions of others, in order to have peace.It's what I recognize as "character."

    In my concept of John Coffey, I felt he understood, and knowing enabled him to face his death in peace.

    I took away from that the perception that some people will understand what happened to me. Some won't. The cognition of others will not change who I am or what happened. I am still me.

    ReplyDelete